Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Day May.30.2011


"I'm proud to be an American,

where at least I know I'm free.

And I won't forget the men who died,

who gave that right to me."


In support of our troops for FHE (family home evening) we made cards & cookies to send to the troops serving for our country! We were split into two groups-(my group) made cookies first while the others decorated cards then we swapped. So the group I was in made chocolate chip cookies-well the guys in the group wanted to prove their manlyhood I mean wanted to contribute to the cooking so they helped us out by measuring...ya they used a liquid container to measure out sugar which was hilarious when he saw the measuring cup for the dry ingredients and saw he was COMPLETELY off lol! Gotta love guys trying to cook ;p

We popped the cookies into the oven then headed to the gym to make our cards :) Shea (the guy in the photo below) is a pretty crafty guy and transformed the scrap piece of paper into an alligator-impressive eh? Then he took a piece of green paper and turned into a heart (ok that one was a fail but his friend Trish transformed it into a bat-his favorite lol) and ya he was really excited about it which was hilarious to watch! I on the other hand am not so crafty so I stuck with the square paper lol and drew on it! But my fireworks aren't half bad lol ;)










Then Carole called us into the kitchen to see the results of the second groups cookies (and it was too good to pass up, I had to take a photo of the HUGE sugar cookie!) believe it or not this cookie started out as 10 individual ones BAHA!!! Apparently the "recipe" wasn't the best...I will leave that up to you to decide lol but it was a good laugh!


For our thought tonight, Tessa gave it on "remember" how on this day we take time to remember those who have fallen because they were protecting our Nation. I have a great appreciation for the men and women who serve on the front line, protect our nation here in our country, and sacrifice their time and life to better our nation. Having my brother in law Johnny leave our family for his service in Iraq made me realize how the military can affect a family. I am definitely grateful for all the individuals who leave their family, friends, lives to go out and fight for my rights and so that I am able to continue my education and in turn be able to give back to my community one day :) I'm proud to be an American!

No comments: